Happy World Vegetarian Day 2021! Let's celebrate with some Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup.
This was an Instant Pot creation. I have a Gourmia Brand Pressure Cooker that works wonders and I love that it can be used to make not only soup, but meat, rice, soup, and apparently even cake! If you are in the market for a new Pressure Cooker here is a link to the Gourmia model like mine, and its less than the other brands, so I say go for it!
The other thing about the Gourmia Pressure Cooker or the Instant Pot in general is that you can throw rice and there and it just cooks. My husband is Dominican and he is PICKY when it comes to his rice and I am a Minute Rice fan LOL! He rolls his eyes every time I say I am making rice. Needless to say, making Wild Rice based soup was a little less daunting with this handy gadget. I just tossed it in the pot with everything else, which I will list below.
1 cup Wild rice uncooked
• 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
• 3 stalks Celery
• 1 cup Onion
• 4 cloves Garlic minced
• 8 oz Cremini Mushrooms sliced
• 6-8 cups Low Sodium vegetable broth
• 1/2 tsp dried Thyme
• 1/2 tsp dried Rosemary
• 2 large handfuls of chopped Kale. Remove the thick stems
You will also be making a roux which calls for
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter to 2 tablespoons of plain white flour.
Expert Tips: My grandma gives me strife for this, but if they sell the vegetables chopped, I am buying it! Yes I spent $1 more but also alleviated a headache. Keep in mind, I am a Foodie, not a chef!
Also, if you want this soup to be brothy and not too thick, you will for sure need 6-8 cups of broth
Last tip is to use Low Sodium broth and Avocado Crack so you can keep the saltiness in check. I love this tip for soups because too much salt ruins the marrying of flavors.
Now that all of your ingredients and new Gourmia Pressure Cooker are ready, lets make some soup!
- First, make sure your Pressure Cooker lid is in the airtight position
- You will dump the carrots, ,onion, garlic, celery, mushrooms, rice, thyme and rosemary straight into the pot and season with Avocado Crack
- Next, pour the broth into the Pressure Cooker as well
- Close the lid, and set the pot to soup for 30 minutes
- When you have about 5 mins or so left on the pot, you will make the roux. To make a roux, melt about 2tbs of butter in a skillet and whisk 2tbs of flour into it, until smooth. It will be thick and creamy.
- When the pot goes off, release the pressure and lift the lid carefully
- Add the kale and stir until wilted and mixed in
- Next add the roux to your soup and mix it in until the soup is rich and creamy and delicious!
- It should look like this:
This soup is awesome. You will love it! If you want something on the side, a nice crusty bread will do well. I am not a vegetarian, but I will definitely be making this soup over and over again. The combination of flavors is exceptional.
Love, Yolanda 💚🥑✨